View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
This is precisely where collectors need to be careful, and brings up a subtle yet pretty important point...

PWCC's sticker is not what is increasing the value; the eye appeal of the card in question is what is increasing the card's value, relative to others in the same grade.

It is the card that is getting its due recognition from us collectors and our wallets; PWCC is merely choosing to use a sticker to hang a lantern on exceptional eye appeal, in precisely the same way that another seller will say "high end" or "great eye appeal" or "presents better than some higher grades," etc. Is it a flashier gimmick? Yes. A more effective lantern? Perhaps.

It is paramount to remember that such cards tend to do their thing on the selling block just fine, without a special sticker that merely states the obvious. I'm sure many of us paid "HE-sticker-like premiums" on many a card, long before PWCC rolled out their campaign.

If one allows PWCC's sticker to become the thing instead of the card, that is where a big risk is run. Just as with PSA's stickers— the card has to merit what the sticker says. And only our eyes can confirm or disconfirm that.

Of course this all goes to the heart of one's collecting philosophy— in terms of whether one is collecting cards, or stickers.
Give me a clear and accurate scan and no marketing BS every time. I'll pass on the kool aid, thank you.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-06-2018 at 01:59 PM.