View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I love the 60's NFL logos. That Niner logo was used from 1965-1972, but I'd say that pennant is definitely from the earlier part of that period. I have several of that Niner pennant (not sure why) and none have a tag or evidence of one ever being there. Pretty unusual Marc.
Rob, when would you say Trench used that sewn label, in your experience? I was thinking early 60s, like 1960, when I learned that Trench was first awarded a license from the NFL to make pennants. And since I usually observe more Trench football pennants from that era with no label at all, my impression was they only used labels for a short window of time. Is that correct?

Seems like the whole point of the label was to tell the consumer (and their competitors) that use of these team names and logos now required a license--and Trench was the recipient of one. In other words, "The pennant you just purchased is officially licensed merchandise." Therefore, it would surprise me to learn that they were still using labels in 1965, five years later. Or, that they would not start using the labels until five years after first securing the license.

On a side note, I am working on an update to my Trench post. I have identified (unlicensed) Trench football pennants made in the late 1940s and early 50s, which I had not realized were theirs. This means that Trench was actually making football pennants much earlier than 1960, as I had mistakenly believed when I wrote my last piece.