View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Default High grade cards are undervalued

Posted By: David Vargha

Gotta get to work, but here are my quick thoughts . . .

Above all, the marketplace will determine value, whether we agree with the judgment of the market or not. Like it or not, the PSA Set Registry has changed the card collecting landscape forever. Additionally, the population reports, while not fully accurate, have become a valuable gauge in determining relative scarcity.

It really depends on how you define "high end". If you are referring to pre-war sets where cards in EX, PSA 5 or SGC 60 condition are scarce, then I would most certainly agree. If you are talking about condition rarities for set registry collectors (such as the much ballyhooed PSA 8 Goudey card that has been discussed ad nauseum on this board), then you have a mixed bag. Again, refer to my point above regarding the marketplace. If two or three collectors are heavily pursuing that set and card, then prices will be strong. However, a population shift of even one more at that grade or the elimination of competitive bidding for that card results in a substantial drop in the hammer price. Once you start to get into condition rarities for the 50's and 60's, the proposition becomes even dicier.

(edited to correct bad grammar)

DavidVargha@hotmail.com