View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Default Questions for Set Collectors

Posted By: Joann

So I wouldn't hijack the current SC thread...

A few questions for set collectors:

What is the best part about collecting a set?

The feeling of accomplishment when completing it?

The thrill of the chase?

The ability to see a visual theme emerge in having them all in view at once?

Do you tend to learn more about a set because you are collecting it (eg, read N54 threads regarding that set a little more closely)?

Do you learn more about a set just by having them all in one place (eg, tendency toward miscuts, patterns of backs/factory numbers, etc)?

Finally, I noticed that set collectors often will consider a set complete "Minus --- ". Minus the Big 4 for T206's, etc. Is there anything missing when you consider a set complete minus one or two abnormally expensive cards from that set? If I wanted to add a small set as a side-line goal, I wouldn't want to set a goal that's financially unreachable. OTOH, I have this little, well, PERSONALITY QUIRK, lolol, that might nag at me forever if got that close to complete and didn't close it out. That could get expensive!

Thanks for the input and answers.

BTW, my goal is a Detroit player from every set before WWI or 1920 or so (or for minor leaguers and team-only sets, a player that played in Dtw at some point). I think there is definitely a "thrill of the chase" in that I not only have to find a set, but also a Dtw player in that set and (as a practical matter) a Dtw player that is not Cobb or another HOF'er. Is there a difference in the feeling of filling a needed slot between a set collector and a type or quasi-type collector? Just curious from anyone that has done both.

Joann