View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Default Happy Belated Memorial Day to Cecil Travis

Posted By: James Feagin

I posted this elsewhere, but wanted to place this here too. Even though I singled out Travis, this holds true to every player who served. If you would like please post your best or favorite Travis piece of memorabilia!

This may be a day late and a dollar short, but I wanted to give thanks and a Happy Belated Memorial Day to former All-Star Cecil Travis. Mr. Travis was well on his way to a HOF career when WW II got in the way. In 1941, previous to the war, it wasn't Dimaggio or Williams who led the league in hits, it was Cecil Travis. During one of the most intense battles of the war, Travis contracted frostbite in his feet and his career was never the same. With a 314. BA and over 1500 hits, he would certainly have been enshrined in Cooperstown if not for the war. In my book though, he should be enshrined. Mr. Travis is still living, he is aged 93 and is spending out his days on a farm in rural Georgia. I hear he still loves to hear from fans, but can't sign autographs anymore. Happy Memorial Day to a TRUE BASEBALL HERO.

James