View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I believe there are new collectors getting back into the hobby that left it in the early 1990's and that's why there are more attending the shows. Many of us were just kids or teenagers back in 1991. Now we are adults and can actually afford to visit a National show that we once only dreamed about. This is what I see at my local shows.

I think another bubble burst is coming in the next few years and that it's now leading up to that. I don't expect it to hurt true vintage much but we will take a hit. It's going to be mostly all this new sparkly stuff. I don't buy into them but I watch every new case break product that comes out. I have yet to see anything of actual long term value. Just last week I watched a new product case break and the case hit was a Roger Clemens Jersey Cut card. Maybe a $10 to $20 value coming out of a $1200+ case. Thousands of 1/1's each year being produced and people are acting as if they pulled a 52 Mantle. I'm already seeing many of the previous years chase cards loaded into $5 boxes at shows. These were the highlight cards that people were buying into a break for $40+ dollars. I just can't see this ending well. It's like we are in 1986 all over again except there are 100+ times the sets if you count the parallels. You can currently purchase autographed insert cards at shows for a dollar. It's already starting.
Honestly I'm okay with a market correction.I think the financial aspect of the hobby is getting in the way of collecting and pricing people out of the hobby. Certainly not what Buck Barker, Lionel Carter or Jefferson Burdick envisioned.