View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Default Straw Poll: Buyer and Seller Fees

Posted By: Joann

I'm with Jim on this one. Although psychologically I tie acceptance of buyer's fees with quality of publication (think REA), navigability of web site, selection, etc, in the end it really doesn't matter.

It's really all about the house and the seller. If I want to spend $500 on a card, I'm honestly indifferent to whether it's $495 plus $5 buyer's fee or $250 plus $250 buyer's fee. It's the price, plus the service, just like any other buying decision. Because I have total control over my net outlay, fees become far less important.

But sellers have little to no control over what they will get, so fees are probably much more important there.

As to seller's fees I've never consigned before. But I don't think there is any such thing as a "reasonable" fee. At that point it's all capitalism. The buyer will spend what the buyer wants. The share that goes to the seller determines what the house has to cover cost and profit. The smaller that portion, more to seller, more business to house, etc etc etc.

Seller's fees should kind of go by the market based on value of house's service for price to seller, not a sense of reasonableness.

Just my two cent's worth.

Joann