View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 12:43 AM
ThreadKiller

Default the next Mantle?

helluva player - I've watched him plenty of times on TV and I think IF he keeps it up he's got a helluva future...MY opinion is that IF he doesn't buy all into all of the (perhaps deserved???) media hype, he'll be amazing. he appears - thus far - to be fairly grounded, but only time will tell...

4/5 tool player - Yes, but only 3+ years isn't necessarily a fair measuring stick for "next Mantle" comparisons, IMHO.

SB's are down, strike outs climbing each year, BUT his overall numbers are solid. his TWO seasons (in his first two years) as runner-up MVP show genuine promise, but let's just give him the time to grow as a player and a person and see how it plays out rather than calling him "The Next" - insert name here - (see Strawberry, Murcer, et al, as reference).

disclaimer: as to your appeal for "anybody who has seen BOTH", I'm way too young to have seen Mantle play, but I'd be thrilled IF we're seeing the "second coming" of the Mick...

that said, I'm a believer in his abilities, and I think he just MAY be the one to one day fulfill your / our expectations as a player...

again, JMHO.