View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I never saw Mantle in person and only on TV in the last few years, so I never really saw his true physical gifts. There is moment in the Ken Burns special that provides a hint. He is shown being thrown out at first base, but MAN, o MAN is he ever fast down that line. He was a great athlete before his knees gave way.

As far as impact on the BBC hobby, no one comes close to Mantle. He was the first TV superstar and therefore, had fans throughout the nation...even if they were not Yankees fans.

Willie Mays was actually better in almost all measurable ways, but suffers from the side of the hobby that no one likes to talk about. It is difficult for us to admit it, but it is true. We (at least a lot of us) like to say that we collect a certain player because, we (at least on the inside) can identify with him more...but, is that all it is...I wonder.

Trout is a great young player, but let's not forget the many 'bridges' between Mays & Mantle and Trout...like Ken Griffey, Jr.- certainly one of the best I have ever seen.

Speaking of short memories, it seems like every few years the title of 'best pitcher in baseball' bounces to a new owner...I remember Halliday and Verlander being praised exactly the way Kershaw is being now...how very fleeting fame is, huh?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente