View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 11:33 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Default Trout and Mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
I know, I know. Absurd. Here's the thing, I just would love to hear from the boards members who have gotten to witness both play. I have spoken with several individuals, involved with the game and outside it, IF Trout compared with Mantle (so far obviously) If yes, was he a better player. Internally heard about a 50/50 split on this.

I have seen Trout too many times in person, but unfortunately never got to see Mantle. All I have to rely on are film and stories. I have met Trout a good amount of times outside of the field as well and he is extremely nice and polite.

I honestly don't care who is better or not. What I care about is that I may actually be witnessing a legend in the making first hand from day one. And IF he finishes amongst the all-time greats, thennn have truly been blessed in the sense of the game that I got to witness a talent like this for 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was old enough to have seen Mantle play, but I didn't really take much interest in MLB action until the 1970 World Series when I was ten years old and instantly became an Oriole fan for life after watching the Human Vacuum Cleaner that Brooks Robinson was. Having said that, my opinion is that OPS is a very good indicator of how good a player is as a batter. Trout is good, but he is no Mickey Mantle. I am no fan of Mantle, but it's going to take some doing to reach his lifetime .977 OPS. And that OPS was posted after four years of serious decline toward the end of Mick's career. Advantage: Mickey Mantle

Last edited by robw1959; 08-29-2014 at 11:45 PM.