View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 AM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
I'd be very surprised if you can find decent mid-grade '53s even VGEX ones for $4-5 in graded form, unless you get lucky and buy a huge lot that flies under the radar. Keep in mind that most VGEX-EX-EX+ graded cards cost the seller nearly $10 to get graded and very few are willing to take a lost and sell them at $5/ea.
My mistake. I meant '56 cards, not '53 cards, although $4-5 may still be a bit too ambitious for '56 cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Also, I think it is somewhat silly to be buying mid-grade cards in TPG holders. In general, the point of having a card encased in plastic is that it is in exceptional quality and should be slabbed (for post-war cards anyway) or is a highly counterfeited issue that you simply want verification of its authenticity. OR you see a card in a TPG that has a technical mid-grade card that is actually much better quality (eye appeal) but can be had at the numerical grade average.
I'm in the latter camp: looking for mid-grades with good centering, no qualifiers, no giant piece of bubble gum stuck on the front...

The prospect of slogging through dozens of $20+ commons is not attractive to me at all. I may go slumming and dip into G to VG for those, if such cards can be eye-appealing.

I will indeed keep thinking this over, and I'll probably buy a card or two from various sets, both raw and slabbed, to see what's I like most.

Sincere thanks for the advice.