Thread: Reprint???
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 11:40 AM
J0hn Collin$

My general rule after years of collecting and one time actually being burned, is if that you have any, even the slightest, reason to question a card's authenticity, then it is probably a fake or a reprint. This used to be less common because the reprints were generally very bad and very noticeable, but today there is a virtual cottage industry online with people making new, "old" cards, complete with fake aging to add to the appearance that it's the real deal. Sometimes these are made on cheap color inkjet printers and are very obvious. Other times they are very well done and look very close to legit. This is one of the problems with 21st century collecting, and the fact that increasingly more collectors are apt to buy a high priced item without seeing it and holding it in their hands first than say, they would have back in the 1980's. I am not a fanatic about professional grading, but I will look for PSA cards online even in lower grades if I'm spending more than a moderate amount of money just to safeguard against this kind of thing.