Thread: W580 Checklist
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Alan Zimmerman

As of this moment, I have collected 52 different w580 cards. The goal is to collect 60 different (or however many different the confirmed checklist turns out to contain). Some are hand cut, while others are from the similar "thai" set. I am still not sure we have a firm date of issue on the "thai" set, but we do know that they share the same subjects—at least as far as I can tell. When I get closer to completion—50 cards in hand—I will start posting images of the cards. For now, I will update my initial post, indicating which cards I have collected.

As a side note, since I have been collecting these cards, I have noticed some differences between the "thai" cards and the hand cut strip cards. In addition to what has already been stated elsewhere—that the card stock is different, that the "thai" cards have a glossy surface and that the "thai" cards were issued as single cards (machine cut at the factory, rather than issued as strips)—other more subtle differences between the "issues" exist. For example, as detailed in the scan below, when comparing the two versions of the Stanley Ketchel card, the hand cut card on the right contains what appears to be the number 26 in the margin, while the "thai" card on the left contains no number in the margin. I have seen numbers such as this on other strip/sheet issued cards and presume that this is the case with the Ketchel card. While I do not have the cards of Jack Johnson or Ad Wolgast, I have seen images online of these cards that contain numbers in the margins. It will be interesting to see if either the Johnson or the Wolgast contain numbers in "thai" card form. More on this later, I am sure.

Thanks for reading.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (71.2 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 01-13-2011 at 02:19 PM.