Thread: August Pickups
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoxon View Post
thanks so much, Brian - I always love to see so many expressions across his set of cards -- Indians, A's, Yankees, and Cardinals.

That Athletics one just grabbed me as the perfect picture of a young care free kid doing what he loved.

I loved reading Roger's biography, and reading about his time with the Indians and As even before his move to NY. I only have 2 each from his time with the Indians (1957 Sohio and '58 Topps) and A's (1959 Topps and now this Jay Publishing). I think that A's is my favorite across all the cards of his, across all the teams, that I have...
Mike, you're most welcome. Thanks ever so much again for sharing your bounty. I would love to get a 1962 Yanks team issue Rajah as yours.

You bring up an interesting point about Roger with Kansas City. I discussed that very matter in my E-book on a CD, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. Roger did not welcome the news that he was going to New York. He loved it in KC. He and his growing family lived in a suburb there. After he was traded, the family stayed behind at their home. Roger simply clicked in KC, and the fans loved him there, whether he was hot or in a slump. He soon sensed their unconditional loyalty, and tried all the harder to play well for them. The Rajah could just relax and play his game, which was all-out without theatrics.

Well, time to shush. Take care, pal. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-18-2017 at 12:12 PM.