Thread: Bryce Harper
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Mike Dugan

Babe Ruth talking trash to half the infield? Other than the called shot in 1932 when retaliating for the Mark Koenig snubs I don't think that Ruth did much out-of-line on the field? He did jab at the Cubs as he circled the bases that day.

I just put in a quick call to one of Ruth's best biographers and one of my SABR buddies he said no way.

I think baseball does lack some color but it comes from the business like way many of the guys play the game. In the 1930's and 40's you had guys coming from tough times, baseball was a relief from everyday life where their fathers worked in the fields or the mines.

Now many American players are bred for the game much like tennis kids or golf kids. Parents take them to hitting or pitching coaches everyday or they hit in cages after school each day. The days are gone where a kid just comes from nowhere to the bigs. Harper is is the poster child for this type of player along with Heyward. Their stories have been told over and over on the air and in print.

The latin players today are reflective of the old school American players of the early days of the game save the steroid influence in many of their countries.