View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Michael

Default hoarders

The first few years I used to buy every obscure minor league card of every coach, etc and have 8 different cards of some minor league coach that never made the majors. It would take a month to go through rosters, buy cards off beckett and ebay as well as sets, etc. If I didn't have 100 cards signed in a day it was a bad day. It was quantity that mattered. As time went on instead of loading up on those same guys again I cut down but it was hard to let a guy walk by without getting him on something so until a few years ago I tried to have at least one card to get signed on everyone as well as all the minor league team sets for minor league spring training where I would do 10 days in late March. Last year I wasn't agressive and was more apathetic. I wanted to get Pujols on a picture of him and my son. I almost got thrown over getting him and he signed in blue sharpie on hs black shirt (if you tilt it in the right direction you can see it was signed). I met my goal though.
If you only concentrated on stars you could be shut out and get no one so this way it was more productive.
Our stuff takes up quite alot of room and we are trying to drastically downsize but it would take the rest of my life to list the items on ebay and I never intended on selling.
Alot of us "older guys" are packing it in as the cons of doing it outweigh the pros. I'd rather concentrate on my vintage collection.
When my son batboyed for Team USA and Frank Robinson was manager half the players on the team never knew that Frank had once played. My son might be happier if I get Pablo Sandoval than Elmer Flick but at least he knows who Elmer is.
My son when he worked at fall league would come home at the end of the season with 30 incredibly stinky hats and 20 pairs of stinky cleats and sometimes he had no clue who wore what. At least we got rid of some of that