View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 11:02 AM
David McDonald

Very interesting post, Ted, and great thread. Thanks for the education. Didn't realize that they distributed cards as late as November. By then baseball would have been in hibernation for at least a month. The '33 Goudeys were one of the first sets I threw together when I took up vintage card collecting a few years back. The cards appealed to me because they depicted many of the players who by the time I was a kid in the 'fifties were the coaches and managers of the day and many others were still household names. I can even lay claim to having seen several of them play if only as "old-timers" at a game in 1959.
I assembled "collector grade" sets of both the '33s and '34s, cracked some slabs and put them into nifty Roop binders. Because I am a bit OC I wasn't going to have a puka in the 106 slot so I found myself a beaterish-verging-on-roadkill Lajoie to get the job done. It's a joy to lay a book of Goudeys on my lap and peruse the pages. The '33s can be seen, quick'n'dirty style, at this link: http://tinyurl.com/jogydhy

I'm so old I saw Wally Pipp play. No lie.