View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Default Science Fiction Paperbacks..........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderbroeth View Post
hey neil, what is your faveorite of the old science fiction books?
Morning,

I would guess my Favorite's are copies of Edgar Rice Burroughs 1st Print Paperbacks from the 1920's/30's. Although I have some of the same books in the Original Hardbacks from 1909 to late 1930's, three with original Dust Jackets (1920 The Land That Time Forgot Value $3000.00 and 1916 The Lost Continent (originally Beyond Thirty) Value $2000, and 1914 The Eternal Savage (Originally The Eternal Lover), A Tarzan Book, Value $3000)

I have always loved the Burroughs books because they bring back memories of my Father taking me to the local Book Store when I was 8 to 12 and buying me handfulls of the Ace editions of these books. I read voraciouisly and could knock down 10-12 books a week, in fact still do.

I am also very Partial to Robert Heinlein 1st Print Paperbacks from the 40's-early 60's, same reason, I lived for the Next Heinlein Book as an adolescent as he opened the World to me not just about Sci-Fi but about People as I think to this day his characters are some of the most well developed in all of Sci-Fi history.

One of my Dream aquisitions would be a High Grade 1914 First Edition copy of Tarzan of the Apes with Dust Jacket. But then again that will never happen as I don't have $25-50K that it would take. The only reason I have the three very valuable Hardbacks of his was just dumb luck twice. One time I was selling comics at a show in Denver, a very big Collectibles show, in down time I walked around checking out other stuff and found two at a table from some guys aunts house estate sale, he didn't know what he had, and I wasn't telling him, got them both for $50 bucks. The third I found on E-bay for $175.00, had it appraised for Insurance at $3000-$5000.

Neil