View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Joe

Default You Never Forget Your First.....

You never forget your first...

I received an email from eBay last weekend congratulating me on my 17 year anniversary with them. I thought holy cow, it's been a while. I have no idea what was the first item I got on eBay, but it got me thinking about my first memorabilia item - the piece that started it all and launched more than a thousand more items to come.

My first item was a 1920s George Sisler endorsed basemitt, made by Alex Taylor & Co., NY. It still holds an honored spot in my collection and on display because of its history. The glove was given to me by my wife's brother 20 years ago. When he gave it to me I had little idea what it even was because it didn't look like any baseball glove I was familiar with up to that point.

The glove's history is even more special. The glove belonged to my wife's grandfather in Vietnam in the 20s. My wife's family left Vietnam in 1978 on a fishing boat with very little more than the clothes on their backs. The family story could have had a tragic ending, but after spending two years in a refugee camp in Malaysia, they finally ended up in the Bronx, NY. My brother in law used to play with the glove in Vietnam, and then in the Camp, and of all the few items the family could keep when escaping, this glove was included. It's a true survivor. (keep in mind pirates used to board these fishing boats full of refugees stealing anything of value. - most possessions didn't survive).

How a glove made in NY found itself in Vietnam in the 1920s, I have no idea. That it found its way back to NY after all this time, and journey, is more amazing. If this glove could talk..

So what was your first item? The piece that started it all and was your catalyst to a lengthy, costly, and loving obsession.

Share your pics and stories on what inspired you.

image.jpg