View Single Post
Old 03-04-2024, 12:06 PM
Jim Reynolds

I agree with Hank. That’s the one thing that people tend to forget (and I’m guilty too) about collectibles - There is no absolute when it comes to value. Value is a magical number decided upon between a seller and a buyer. Every seller and every buyer may come up with different numbers from sale to sale to sale, depending on any number of factors.

As a seller I have to decide what is my “let it go” price and a buyer has to decide what is their “buy price”. If we do not agree on a number hopefully we can find somewhere in between.

Here’s an example - Would I sell my car for a $1.00? No. Now, would I sell my car for $1 million? Yes. Now I have a value range. Would I sell for $500,000? For $100,000? Would I sell for $20,000?

People throw around comps and eBay sold prices and such, but these are numbers decided upon by other people for their items based on their comfort level in buying and selling. That’s not me.

To me it’s no different than when people ask me why would I send a $5 card in for grading? Who says it’s a $5 card? What does it matter to anyone else what my card is worth or what I choose to do with it?

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 03-08-2024 at 04:27 AM.