View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
nobody used the house for the next 170 or so years? Not meant the way it might read - not being sarcastic - my wife invented sarcasm so I usually can recognize it or wield it correctly :-) Like I said - it's a nice ball. That I can't pin down a date that I'm happy with is irrelevent as it's what you think. I'm happy when I can add something special to my accumulation just as you are now.
Thinking I'm in the market for a belt ball that's a little larger than my type. I passed on a beauty a while back as I had a couple of concerns based on a conversation - regret it as it was beautiful - but if I don't feel 100% comfortable with something (meaning once I own it I don't revisit the issue of authenticity/aesthetics unless prompted) - it will continue to bother me along the road and interfere with my abilty to go about my hobby business as a free spirit.
I know. Counseling might help me..........
Interestingly enough I just watched a show on the restoration of Clara Bartons missing soldiers office/boardinghouse in DC. They showed a lot of amazing stuff they found in the attic, rucksacks, civil war ambulance parts, flyers, boxes that held flyers or maybe stamps.......All of it still in the attic since the 1860's.
http://www.civilwarmed.org/clara-bar...seum/exhibits/

The restoration was amazing, but of course they had a decent budget.

My own house is 1880's, and before I moved in hadn't had any renovation since maybe 1910. The antique people cleared out a ton of stuff when it was an estate in 94, but out in the carriage house there was still some stuff from before 1920. Car tire chains, a sparkplug, a couple blank ledgers.

Steve B