View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Default Greatest Single Game Performance

Posted By: Dan Koochin

Joe Carters' World series winning home run.

But I did see a great 'performance' last year, had very
little to do with baseball (but Scioscia and Robinson
were putting on a helluva circus performance)

During the seventh inning of the Angels’ 6-3 loss to the Washington Nationals, Nationals Manager Robinson had umpires check Angel reliever Brendan Donnelly’s glove. The umpires found a foreign substance on Donnelly’s glove and Donnelly was ejected. After Donnelly’s ejection, Angel Manager Mike Scioscia had some 'choice words' for Robinson and that incensed Frank. Frank began to go after Scioscia and both benches cleared and both bullpens cleared. Former Angel and current National outfielder Jose Guillen had to be restrained from going after some of the Angels by Washington coaches. A huge melee of players struggled and grapple on the pitchers mound as if in a 'rugby scrum'. Out from underneath them, wily ol' Frank Robinson crawls out with the doctored ball!

Anyway, after that inning, Scioscia engaged in his own gamesmanship and asked umpires to check the Nationals’ pitcher’s glove. They did , but Sciosia insisted it was not good enough,
and amazingly the umpires complied with his demands to 'check it more'. As far as I recall the glove tassels were deemed to be 'too long' so they stop the game to find a pair of scissors to cut the offending rawhide tassels!

Scot Shields came in for Donnelly, and he's now facing the still enraged Guillen who from what I saw, points to Sciosia defiantly and 'calls his shot'. Shields gave up a game-tying home run to Guillen in the eighth - along with two more runs and the Nationals won.

(Note: Donelly suspended for 8 games by MLB)