View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Welcome aboard Duncan!

While most of us collect Pre-WWII, some of us also allow our sites to wander beyond that.

As for me, my three favorite players growing up were Mantle, Koufax and Ryan so I had to extend to include those heroes.

For higher value cards, I prefer graded cards - with the cost determining how high a grade I choose.

I keep my 'big dogs' graded cards in fire-proof safes, while others include them in mounted wall displays and the like and still others use safety deposit boxes (which I personally would not consider just because it would be harder to get a 'fix' by viewing).

Last year, I sold my 1957-1980 Topps complete sets, which were a lot of fun to build, but terribly expensive to amass. I kept them in nine-slot sleeves within binders kept laying down on bookcases. They were both easy to view and protected from everyday wear and tear.

I also collect specific modern players, which I keep in 900-count cardboard boxes - I have added a lot to that section recently so this is the best way for me to store them.

More valuable modern cards and certified autographed cards, I keep in semi-rigid sleeves and away from sunlight (as with all autographs).

This is just the way I do it...though there are many alternative ways.

Again, Welcome - I hope this helps.

Raymond Culpepper aka 'clydepepper'

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente