View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 04:07 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughlinfan View Post
Hey Fred!

Great to hear from you! Let me first say that the Post display you shared pictures of is fantastic! I have seen a black and white picture of the display all assembled, and it looks incredible! Will you assemble yours, or leave it in pieces? Have always had a soft spot for advertising pieces (among other things!), but they do take up room to display!

My Maris has no number. It is puzzling. I would think that if I were an unscrupulous reproducer, I would leave the number on it. I am wondering if they numbered the items that needed to be ordered or were distributed from the company, as opposed to maybe these window displays that Post Representatives had a stack of, and didn't need any identifying numbers. I agree with you, though - if one turns up with a number, then likely all of them without are not originals. Short of that, I am afraid it might always be a question. With the solid origins of yours, I would also assume yours is legit, but I don't know how it can ever be definitively established, short of some type of paper or ink testing!

Hopefully some others will have some additional info!

Thanks again, Fred!
Hi Marty:

No, I won't be putting my Supermarket display together. I think it is more important to keep it in it's original (shipping) state. I only unpacked them to take the photos you saw on the flickr link I provided in my original post.

As for the B&W photo showing a 1962 store display, is the below photo what you are referencing? This shows most of the items in my display kit. Including the super cool whirl around display with the large cards of Mantle, Pinson, Lary, Gentile, Koufax, Clemente, O'Toole, Cash, Boyer and Maris and the 2'x3' Mantle/Maris banner

Best,

Fred