View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 12:45 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default Show your most sentimental item

Let's see the item that has the most sentimental value to you personally.

Being that our interest in sports usually starts as some sort of personal experience, it stand to reason that each of us has one or two items that really make us feel something in the gut. I think with autographs it is even a more emotional experience as often the item comes from some sort of personal interaction with the signer. Often, it's not ness our most expensive or rare item, but something that perhaps only each of us values as special.

Let's share those items and the story of how you got it and why it means something to you.

I'll start with these 2 Bookbinders matchbooks signed by Warren Spahn.

The story is that in 1982, the Lehigh Valley SPorts Collectors club held a show in Bethlehem. I was 16 at the time. My father and I were asked to go to the Philly airport to pick up Spahn. We did so Friday afternoon. He appeared at the show most of Saturday and was awesome to everyone.

That night, in a spur of the moment decision, he wanted to go to a nice dinner in Philadelphia at Bookbinders Restaurant. At the time, it was one of Philly's premier spots. I was chosen to go with Saphn. Al Wexler and Dale Diebert, both of whom were involved in running the show, also accompanied him that night.

Well, as you can imagine, Saturday night at a top restaurant in a big city is near impossible to get a table at without a reservation, but we went anyway. As, we parked and walked in, the 3 of us were talking about how difficult it might be to get a table. Spahn said "Don't worry. I'll take care of it." We opened the door and walked in. As soon as the maitre'D saw him, he shouted across the waiting area. "Mr Spahn! How are you? It's great to see you again. It has been such a long time since we have seen you. Let me get you a table" Spahn proceeded to call him by name, which I don't remember now, exchanged greetings and chatted with him about how he hasn't been in the area in a while, etc. I saw the staff bringing out a table from the back and setting it up in the middle of the room. We were then led to that table where we sat and ate. I remember seeing all the people in the waiting area with looks that included surprise, shock, disbelief, anger, and envy. Not sure if they were because we walked in with Warren Spahn or because we skipped in front of everyone waiting, and it was jam packed.

He was one of the nicest men I ever met. He spoke with us as equals, not as 2 schlubs and a kid that some might have. He told stories of baseball and his life for 2-3hrs that we were there. It was an AWESOME night. I grabbed these 2 matchbooks on the way out which he signed for me. What a great memory.

OK who is next?

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL