View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 01:57 AM
Administrator

Default condition of cards collected

Posted By: Anonymous

I've only slightly read over the other posts in this thread, but from my point I simply collect the cards where I can find them. I prefer at least to have all four corners, but in the case of the 1928 Star Player Candy cards, finding the card at all is the challenge. Then there is of course the 1921-23 E220's:

The E220's are the proverbial ugly redheaded stepchild, but I collect them because they have pictures of the players not found in any other set and their production with the varying lengths, widths and miscuts are unlike any other set.

I also do not have a big bank account and I realize that, for the most part, cards had for years only trade and not monetary value. If, over the years, only the most avid collectors kept their cards in top shape, then most cards are going to have corner wear, at least a crease or two and any possible other flaw picked up over the years. The cards pickup their own personality and appearance over time. I, frankly, would rather have a lot of cards in mid-grade shape than one in top grade. I like quantity and I also don't have to worry in most cases if the card has been altered or bleached.