View Single Post
Old 08-17-2002, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Default As Charlton Heston Said

Posted By: Kenny Cole

It's pretty hard to feel sorry for the plight of those poor, struggling, billionare owners. It is also somewhat ironic that the owners, those bastions of capitalism at its finest, are now basically saying that they need their employees to help protect them from their own arrogance and stupidity. What a shining example of the Peter Principle in action. Jeez, do they need help from their employees to stay afloat in their other business endeavors?

Similarly, I can't really identify with the concerns of a union whose members earn an average salary of almost $2.5 million and have a median salary of what I understand to be about $450,000. That, of course, does not take into consideration all of the other not inconsiderable perks that go along with being a professional athlete. What a bunch of spoiled prima donnas. I wonder if the players ever think about how nice it is to be them as opposed to, say, a servant at one of their mansions.

I've seen some sad stuff in my life, but this ain't it. Who cares? If baseball folds, I won't shed a tear for either side. The people I will feel sorry for are the guys who sell hot dogs at the stadiums, the people who usher you to your seats, and all the other decent, hard-working people who then stand to lose their jobs because of the arrogance, stupidity and short-sightedness of Don Fehr, Bud Selig, and their respective stooges, lackeys and toadies.

In a perfect world I'd say lets put Selig and Fehr both in a bag and let them beat each other to death with bats. At least something productive would be accomplished that way. A pox on both their houses.

I guess I'll just keep on collecting cards of guys who are dead and who therefore don't much care about labor issues. The current game isn't for me.