View Single Post
Old 08-24-2023, 09:47 AM
Tim Odeen

He can't play OF until his arm heals, just like Bryce Harper. So now he must decide if he will strictly DH, or get surgery and try to rush back like Harper. Bad timing either way for teams looking at signing him.

While on a new team lets say he opts for surgery; he could be like Acuna, injured and not playing when the team wins a WS.

As for salary, his future earnings have definitely decreased. If they were at $500m, a team knows they need to invest in an injured player. Would Mariners do that? I don't think so. So now his West Coast options are Dodgers, Padres, Giants. I agree Padres and Giants are risky if Ohtani has a win now mentality. Padres are about to be torn down. So then that leaves Dodgers. Would Dodgers offer $400m? I don't think so.

Part of the reason for Dodgers recent success is because they have acted like the Cardinals, and they don't sign long term contracts with players who will become beached whales with 4 yrs remaining. I would say Dodgers offer 5 years, $30m, $150m guaranteed, with incentives for more money that could bring yearly salaries up to $50m if he reaches 40 HR, 100 RBI, AS, MVP, GG, if he pitches again, etc etc. If Ohtani opts for surgery, Dodgers know they have invested $30m for one year of nothing.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 08-24-2023 at 09:49 AM.