View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
i say no on oddball as many (not all) are not very attractive ex: post cereal and were not part of the massees collecting experience whereas topps base cards were. jmo
I cannot speak for the choices of collectors today, but as someone who collected the Post Cereal at the time they were issued, I'm rather ashamed of your opinion of them. In our neighborhood in the suburbs of Chicago, the Post were immensely popular. By that I am not inferring they were more popular than the easy-weezie Topps cards. Sorry, but with Topps, you took those for granted. You could always get your Topps fix. "They were all over the place."

Now, the Post Cereal were readily available, too. Just go to the grocery store, and there they all were. You could even look at the back of the boxes to select the box that had the most cards of players you wanted. It was so easy---and that's exactly the point where the "easiness" ceased. Now came the multitude of problems and complications. The end result 50+ years later?

Just look at the PSA or SGC pop reports at the numbers of specimens graded Near Mint/Mint or better. Not to be a spoiler, but for such a grandiose promotion that staggers the imagination, the numbers don't lie and they speak volumes.

As far as the appearance of the Post Cereal gems, I know referring to them as "gems" speaks for itself, but I was immensely attracted to the Post. For a card having a photo, player name, write-up, etc. Post did a terrific job. If you do not think so, you're not alone I'm sure. However, there are a bunch of us who absolutely love the Post Cereal. We've discovered some of the old TV commercials they ran to promote them, which Topps never had. Hey, in my mind then as a kid, with those great commercials, Post were "THE MOST".

Gotta go. Just had to take a few minutes and disagree with your taste in cards, and speak up for the Post. Then again, keep disliking them, Mintacular; less competition for me!

Take care. ---Brian Powell