View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 11:08 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I'm 38, and would concur with your assessment of Mantle's role in the hobby, which continues today but especially from when we were growing up. He's the king of the postwar hobby despite career stats and records because New York and the 1950's was the perfect intersection of time and place for baseball. When baseball nostalgia became a full-blown thing by the early 1990's (The Natural, Field of Dreams, card shops on every corner...) and the baby boomers wanted a piece of that nostalgia, they turned to Mickey Mantle. Forget that Ted Williams batted nearly 50 points higher for his career or that Stan Musial had 600+ more hits or that all things considered - Willie Mays was the best NY centerfielder - Mickey was the guy in those NYY pinstripes. Just how it worked out. I bought into the mystique too, but have to settle for my VG-ish '56 Topps Mantle instead of a '52 Grail or '51 Bowman.
The only Mantle card in my collection up until a couple of years ago was a beat up 58 world series batting foes Mantle/Aaron that might grade a 3 if I ever sent it in. I'm sure I never will. I've had it since I was a kid and I still love it. Only in the last year or so was I able to add a couple I always dreamed of. I'd still prefer better condition but they are cool to have. Hopefully you'll be able to add to your 56 as well.