View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 07:50 PM
Kin K.

Dale,

Here are scans of the two Beehives that I got graded:

img822 by kekinsley, on Flickr

img823 by kekinsley, on Flickr

Unfortunately, Beckett graded items do not scan well. The plastic is thicker so that's why they look so bad. I even did it in a dark room. A little frustrating but it is what it is. Also, they are actually slightly bigger than the surface of my scanner. That's why the pics appear cut off.

I did pick them up at a local show. We have shows in our area most weekends but the one that I attend most frequently as a regular seller that has nothing but hockey (he's originally from Ontario) and he had them. They were the only two. I think they said they were his brother's at one time, if I remember correctly.

Andrew Shaw was a nice guy when I met him. For some reason I expected he wouldn't be, but I'm glad that I was wrong. I actually have a (online) collecting friend in Ontario that's buying and sending me some Canadian stamps. I'm going to send a TTM request to him and see how it goes.

I also scanned the pages below that were in the first Beckett Vintage Collector magazine. This was the first that I learned about the Beehives and where most of my limited knowledge comes from.

img824 by kekinsley, on Flickr
img825 by kekinsley, on Flickr
img826 by kekinsley, on Flickr
img827 by kekinsley, on Flickr

Have a great evening!
-kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I'd love to see them, WVU, that would be great!

I am glad my Father kept those envelopes and the advertising piece. I have seen a few envelopes for sale but never the advertising piece itself. I thought there were only 5 but there are 6 in total.

I'm curious where you purchased your Beehives, was it in the State of Texas? If so, that is interesting, considering their lack of popularity and the fact they made it all the way down there.

Glad to hear Beckett grades them. I have been told Beckett is a great resource for info and prices. Guess I should join to see for myself.

Dale

EDIT: Just read some of your blog, Kin. Very interesting. I am looking forward to reading more. I see your a Andrew Shaw fan. This was 2 years ago. My son was fortunate to play a game of shinny with Andrew Shaw. He was a great guy!!
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry