View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Default 1914 Cracker Jack set

Posted By: Scott Elkins

Compared to SEVERAL Pre-War cards, 1914 CJ's are not even close to being rare. They are a very popular set - as far as Pre-War goes, CJ's are probably right behind T206's in popularity. Popularity is where the $$$ comes in, and publicity. Were a card's worth based on rarity, hands down Leon's Fan's Cig. Baker would be the most valuable card. Like I said, I really don't know anything about this "find", other than what was stated in that article. I would guess and say that Mastro brokered a "quick" sale for the owner - that would be my guess. The owner probably wanted the $ quickly.

If Mastro bought it, the set was probably sold at a substantial quick profit to a GOOD client - this happens all the time in our collecting world and the real business world! We all (or almost all do this quite frequently). I know I have - on a MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller scale of course. Instead of listing a card or cards on eBay and waiting as little as a week, I will sell a card to a friend who wants it for a smaller profit. Like I said, we have probably all done that. Plus, there would have been quite a bit expense on Mastro's part (labor, printing, etc. for a catalog auction), plus a wait of months. Also, they probably have their next auction planned out - just waiting on more consignments of course (they probably already have several). Since this is the case, to break this set up and sell individually would probably have required a "seperate" auction altogether - thus, even more costs incurred! Also, it seems (from my understanding), that the NEW owner is having the cards graded - there was another expense and wait that Mastro did not incur by selling the set together.

Bottom Line - sure there would have been more money, had Mastro purchased the set - then sold the cards individually. However, there would have been more UPFRONT costs (probably substantial at that), more time and NO GUARANTEE! This is why I think if Mastro did purchase the set, they sold it quickly. AND, they made a good customer happy in the process!