View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

I've wondered if bidding big early is a mind game leftover from in person auctions. I've had some luck at those getting deals on items I really want that are within my budget by bidding the auctioneers opener and basically just leaving my number up till either the other bidders quit or I hit my max.
It's basically telling other bidders you're very solidly committed to buying it. And surprisingly, many will back down before hitting a reasonable price.

I've always figured it was hard to signify intent that way online, but maybe it works? I know if an Ebay item has been bid to almost what I'd be interested in spending I often abandon it in favor of a potential "deal" later on.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
It's interesting. I know I've bid aggressively early when I've really wanted a card. I think it's the OPs card as that was a very weird first post, particularly if it was actually a card he was considering buying.

On a side note, it's amazing to me that this would be a 30k + card when it looks like you can get an 8 or an 8.5 for less than $500. With my eyesight, the difference in appearance is virtually non-existent.