Thread: ot - card store
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 08:35 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Growing up in northern Rhode Island there were 4 shops I frequented as a kid 6-15 all of which are no longer there. Two were in Pascoag, one run by a nice guy named Dan who used to have me make grab bags in the back room and who wasn't the most business savvy guy. I ended up buying out his entire 80s commons inventory for 100 dollars when I was 9 or so and he went out of business. Lots of 84 donruss that helped me turn a small profit at the time. The next shop that replaced his sold video games and non sport, was not a trustworthy place but friendly enough and had mostly new stuff. The two in Woonsocket were much better. One was run by a guy named Don who had a great business sense and was very friendly. He retired off cards and moved to Florida I think, very successful. The other was Joe 's moldy oldies , a record store mostly with cards. It was run by a great old time dj who was very fair with prices. The formula for success in the bigger shop in Woonsocket was a pleasant knowledgable owner with solid inventory and competitive though not low prices in a fairly busy location.