View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Scott, don't bite your lip when you see things that are suspect. Since nobody is 100% accurate, it will help other members (especially the "proud owners") to know what may be suspect about their item. I know we don't like to piss on anybody's parade, but if it's a reasonable analysis, we would all love to hear it and share knowledge. I definitely like to hear from fellow collectors on why they think something is fake and it helps us stay away from such crap in the future (and save us some hard earned money!).

I hope that wasn't the case when I posted my 1931 Cubs ball with Hornsby and Hack Wilson. I only got 2 semi-opinions on here, so I was wondering if maybe somebody was holding back their negative opinion. I hope not!
I can think of two instances, both Ruth, where I contacted the owner via PM. In one case the guy had just bought a horrible ball for 1/3 of normal price. I warned him, hoping it had not yet been shipped. He was grateful. Another time I simply PM'd someone asking a couple of questions, as I already knew the guy was sensitive and uneducated. He went through the roof. He was ungrateful. Now I keep my mouth shut when a forum member posts something he has acquired, unless he asks for opinions. I have also contacted several auction houses letting them know that Ruths or early Mantles were forgeries. Not once has one of these been taken down, but I will continue to let them know - I think the AH owners actually believe me, but they have already signed on with a TPA and cannot contradict them.