View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 11:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'd have to wonder why that happened. Did the high prices bring out a lot of nice cards for grading? Or did the few people who could afford to try for a 52 set in 8-9 complete sets or give up? 8-9 I'd think is primarily a registry competition thing and once the few really tough cards are locked up in a couple collections the competition that drove prices stops.

I'm nowhere near on that league, so even at 2,000 they wouldn't fall into the "best I can afford" category.

I was thinking more along the lines of whether I wait for a 5 or buy a 4 now. Or maybe even take a chance on a nice looking card and send it in myself. (Or just buying it and not bothering with grading)
The reason some cards are or were low pop purely had to do with centering. I suspect that when the demand became really high from ego-driven registry guys, people either pressured PSA to give some borderline cards 8s, and/or trimmed and got some through. And as supply increased, prices eventually came down to earth. That, plus set collecting seems generally to have dropped at least in high grades.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-14-2019 at 11:53 AM.