Thread: Good Bye Andy!
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 10:45 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
My fav Yankee since the days of Mattingly and Rickey Henderson

Sad to see him go He was fun to watch pitch, throwing a lot of off-speed breaking pitches. He always seemed to induce a groundball double play at the perfect moment! Great pickoff move to 1B. Great competitor. Glad I was able to watch him play and saw him pitch live a few times at Yankee Stadium. Not to mention, he got the victory in the final game at the old Yankee Stadium in 2008.

I never considered him to be HOF material - just a solid #2 type of pitcher that you always knew what you'd get from him. However, it looks like he'll have a chance to get in after a few ballots when you reflect on his entire career achievements.
Don't get me wrong, I like Andy as much as the next guy, but he's still got the whole HGH thing hanging over his head. Sure he's not one of the extreme cases. In fact most have forgiven/forgotten it. But for a borderline player, it will more than likely keep him out. If he had surefire stats, then I'd say he would probably be the first steroid-guy to get in because of how he handled the whole thing. But, once again, he didn't have surefire numbers, so that point is kinda moot.