View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM

I wouldn't worry about your kids selling your collection or it becoming worthless cardboard. Hopefully that is a long time off and I feel that is something that your shouldn't be thinking about. I firmly believe the collection is for you to enjoy and for then to share the fun of collecting with your kids. I got married last year and we were together 5 years before that. My wife now had joined a few auction houses to bid on items for my birthday and Christmas gifts. Yesterday she asked, "What's the website where I can look up card prices?" You never know who is going to be the next buyer (and hopefully she'll stop overpaying!)

I got back into the hobby 5 years ago doing HOF rookie. I moved away from that to 19th century, concentrating on the Mayo Cut Plug set. You never know where the hobby is going to take you, just enjoy the ride and pay what you think is reasonable and not what someone thinks is. It's a long process, be patient.

Over the last 5 years, I feel the market has been all over the place. Rarer cards have done exceptionally well as have the icons of the sport - they have retained their value. Commons or low grade cards, I think have decreased a little but remember..... buy the card not the grade.

The increase in internet only auction houses has been a blessing and a small curse. I am hesitant to bid on some items I don't "need" but "want" when I know another auction is right around the corner. But it has allowed for an increase in selling away from eBay which is a good thing.

As someone who came back 5 years ago, the fundamentals are still the same: do your research; don't overextend yourself financially; find a way to track your purchases; be patient.

Michael