View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Default Need some help with T222

Posted By: DSGreen

I recently purchased this card from an ebay auction for my Braves collection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1914-FATIMA-PLAYERS-LEFTY-TYLER-BOSTON-NATIONALS_W0QQitemZ250015653827QQihZ015QQcategoryZ 86839QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now I know nothing about this issue other than what has been discussed on this board, what is in Lipset's Encyclopedia, the info that is on Cycleback website concerning this issue, and what is on Old Cardboard. The card, even with the problematic pictures, seemed legit to me, especially considering I could not find any information concerning this issue ever being reprinted. So, I felt it would be a good chance to add a T222 to my small collection.

After receiving the card, it measures out pretty close to what it should and the edges in the photo that look uneven, I suspect are due to some warping on those specific areas on the edge. Obviously from the back it looks to have been placed in an album of some type. The card itself is very thin, so much so that I can see the card back pretty clearly when held to light. The card also has a glossy finish which is very evident, especially where the torn corner is because the is a small area where the gloss is gone but part of the card remains. Also, there is no print dots on the card under 20X magnification.

All of this had me feeling good about the card until I again checked the checklist of the set and noticed that the number under Tyler's name should be a 4. Under magnification, the number under the card I have looks very much like a 9. I noticed a white nine on other cards in this set that I could locate images for. Another thing that troubles me about the card is that the back printing looks to be a stamp because under magnification, there is some bleed on the lettering, especially around the lettering for "Turkish Blend" and "Cigarettes."

Given this, do you think this card could be a fake? Sorry that I don't have any scans up yet. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Forever A Brave Collection