View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 06:20 PM
David Peck

The one thing that modern cards have that can't be replicated is you own shares of stock in a current company. Ebay is like the stock exchange and Tom Brady is as blue chip as one can get with some internet stock in him.

Love him or hate him he is the man. Not even remotely debatable. As an owner you get to participate in his wins monetarily so that attracts a lot of people. You almost own a piece of him like when Secretariat was sold in shares to investors.

I couldn't begin to tell you if 400k is ridiculous or turns out to be cheap. So many of these cards have gone so much higher than I or probably anyone could have imagined so I don't even feel qualified to try and forecast their future.

On one hand the print runs are so low that you don't need that many serious buyers to have the prices sky rocket. Keeping them there is obviously easier with the low supply but the price that collectors are willing to pay on cards is quite variable and these also could turn into one off sales. Time will tell.

What they do have going for them is in many cases once an item develops this kind of marquee status unless there is a serious event that should change the psychology of the market it will be a bragging rights piece and that generally only gets more expensive over time.

This is going to be very fascinating to watch play out in the coming months and years and obviously the hidden supply will play a great role in determining where prices go.

At least it is Michael Jordan and Tom Brady we are talking about. It doesn't get any better than those two.