View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 01:51 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
So if I am reading this thread correctly, only no-hitters in the American League after the institution of the DH in 1973 are valid.

Therefore Sandy Koufax has zero career no-hitters.

Nolan Ryan had a combination of AL no-hitters and NL almost no-hitters.

I'm not sure if any HOF pitchers have mention of no-hitters on their plaque in Cooperstown, but if so, inserting the word "almost" on their plaque could be problematic. Would an asterisk (a la Maris) be sufficient?

And what about poor Johnny Vandermeer. Would his double no-hitter be wiped off the books completely or would it be considered an "almost" double no-hitter.

In summation, I would be willing to bet that not one of the proponents of the DH rule change for the American League realized that their proposal would invalidate all prior no-hitters.

I say "long live the Almost No-Hitter".

For clarity of the linguistics involved, I would propose a different term for no-hitters broken up in the late innings, and would suggest calling these "Nearly No-Nos".

No you are not reading it correct. I said after 1973, that NL no hitters are worth MORE than AL no hitters (from 1973 and on) Sandy Koufax is safe.. I proposed 10% more value to the NL no hitter or you can have AL no hitters be worth 10% less. Pitch counts and various other factors I contend are showing that NL no hitters are trending to be much easier. (at least 16 of the last 20 no hitters have been in NL Parks).

It was last year with all of the 'nearly no-no's that occurred in the NL is what made me come up with this. Plus the chris hestons of the world

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 05-29-2017 at 01:52 PM.