View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Bill Gregory

Sigh. I knew this day would come, but it still sucks. The Pirates have long been my second favorite team, with Kiner and Roberto Clemente my favorite two Bucs. I'm just heartbroken. Ralph Kiner was one of the true gentlemen of the game. He was the 50's Christy Mathewson.

Kiner played only 10 seasons, but hit a whopping 369 home runs, while driving in 1,015 on a lot of bad Pirate teams (the Bucs won 492 games and lost 739 while he wore a Pirate uniform). He also walked 1,011 times. When he retired, he was sixth all-time in round trippers. He still holds the Major League record for most home runs in a player's first 5 seasons with 215 (he hit 23 as a rookie, then 192 the next four seasons!) He led the NL in home runs his first seven seasons in the Majors. No other player has ever led their league in home runs seven consecutive seasons. Not even Babe Ruth. He had four 3-home run games, astonishing when you consider the brevity of his career. Mr. Kiner served his country as a Navy pilot in WW II, and after his playing career was forced to a premature end due to back problems, Ralph became part of the New York Mets television broadcasting team, serving in that capacity for over 50 years.

How big was Ralph back in the day? DiMaggio had Marilyn. Ralph Kiner dated Elizabeth Taylor and Janet Leigh.

This is the first vintage card I bought. I was looking at it just last night. Now he's gone, and I'm so sad.

RIP, Mr. Kiner. Thank you for your service to our country, and for being one of the truly great players, and gentlemen, to ever step on the field.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 02-15-2014 at 05:26 AM.