View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=seanofjapan;1686186]Yes, I totally agree, the smile on his face is great. I just can't get over the orange though!

Back in the early 90s I used to go to this outdoor flea market that was held on Sundays in the summer. There was this one dealer who put all his best cards for sale face up on the table. By the end of the summer all of his best cards were brutally sun faded and nobody bought from him anymore (yet for some reason he kept putting them out there in the sun every Sunday....)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean, you've reminded me of a similar, sad memory.

Back in the early 90s, there was this card shop in a South Bend, Indiana mall, right in front of a Montgomery Ward's. Eventually, he got moved to a back area of the Ward's, where his store had all kinds of natural light.... Yup, each day the searing sun just blazed away at his wares. I remember he had a mid-grade Stan Musial Red Man Tobacco card, which he proudly displayed for sale, as one of his vintage pieces. After a few months in the new shop's location, Stan the Man's regal red color began to turn pink. It made me sick to look at that once beautiful card.

Maybe the chap's monthly rent was much cheaper at that part of Ward's. I think the blazing sun torched his business. He sold coins and cards, after concentrating on coins. After that ultraviolet ray concentration on his cards, he went back to strictly selling cards.

In his defense, stamps and cards are high maintenance, and proper planning is essential. I will never forget that pink Musial.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-05-2017 at 01:20 PM.