Thread: Spahn is gone
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Default Spahn is gone

Posted By: J Levine

The six nicest players I have met in person...

1. Frank Thomas (the original)...Frank lost his collection in a fire and a trading group I am in has helped him recover most of it. I met him in person at a mall show about four years ago and he not only gave my friend and I free autographs but had coffee with us and talked baseball for nearly an hour while his wife shopped at the mall. Great guy, great stories, and two of the biggest hands I have ever seen.

2. Feller. Everyone has met him, he has signed everything and anything. Met him the first time at a spring training game in arizona. Saw him again about six months later at a show. Talked baseball both times and managed not to get anything signed. The third time I met him was at the HOF. He even remembered me from before and again we had a blast talking baseball and history. If you get a chance, ask him who the best player was from every era. The guy knows his stuff.

3. Spahn...as said before, knew I was a Carlton fan but did not hold it against me.

4. Banks...lets play two! The guy is just great. Big smile, big baseball knowledge, and very funny. Great guy.

5. Buck Leonard...met him at many shows, the HOF, and a book signing. The guy was an endless source of baseball stories and legends. Loved listening to him. I think the last time I saw him he was something like 99 years old.

6. Berra. Yep, old Yogi. Still a strong handshake a couple of years ago at the HOF. When I commented on his hands, he told me to come around the table and talk with him. We chatted about how he broke every finger (twice). He may come across as a little daffy but he really is more savvy than he gets credit for.