View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 05:35 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Nice Checklist!

Like was mentioned in previous post - the Plak checklist is SOOO much nicer than the Plak's. If I remember correctly there was some type of checklist proof or variation that sold in the Halper auction - I was an underbidder - anyone have a photo of or know where that went?

So about the image I am posting today: Horne's department store was a big pirates sponsor throughout at least the 50's and 60's that I am aware. There are a number of Pirate team items showing Horne's as the sponsor/producer. For the first time a few years ago I saw an autographed black and white photo of a Pirate's player from 1958 - dated and printed - saying it was from the players appearance at Horne's department store. I figured they would have advertised the appearance. I found digitally reproduced copies of the Pittsburgh papers from the week before the appearance (with the help of a fellow board member). I found an advertisement for the appearance. I then surmised that there would be a good likelihood that Clemente probably appeared at some point! Heart racing - I checked papers as far back as 1955 and went through 1962 (when ads stopped appearing). I don't recall, nor would I likely admit how much time I spent looking, but I found an ad mentioning an appearance by Clemente on September 15, 1960. A new item was added to my wantlist. Last year while searching the completed listings of ebay, I found a Clemente (not autographed) that had sold I had never seen the item before and it slipped away. I did what any die hard collector would - I contacted the seller and asked him to contact the buyer on my behalf offering to double his money - no response. Damn. A few months later another pops up offered by the same seller - Thankfully the seller responded very quickly to my "best offer" saving me a few bucks in the process. The signature is facsimile. The things we do for our collections!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornes.jpg (71.7 KB, 1552 views)

Last edited by hcv123; 01-05-2018 at 05:36 PM.