View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I didn't respond because I don't know SGC's policies as well as I know PSAs. And the OP's claim that it would take 6 months to get his card back is a ridiculous overstatement; only bulk orders over 100 cards are taking more than 1-2 months to complete. His 1-card order would get back to him in about a month for $34 at PSA ($20 grading, $14 return shipping).

But yes, you can normally ask either company to "SLAB IF AUTHENTIC" if you want it graded no matter what. I do this for cards I want graded/slabbed for my registry sets even if they've been considered MINSIZREQ (factory cut short), Factory Miscut (not rectangular), or Altered (trimmed, erasures, recoloring, etc). PSA will give them a grade if they are not altered, and slab as Authentic if they are.
First off, 100% agree with the first statement. $34 and one month.
Next, I had always believed this to be the case with PSA slabbing a card as "authentic" but it is not true. I submitted a 1961 Topps mid grade Mantle to them. Someone thought The Mick would look better with a moustache then reconsidered because it was erased. Thought it might come back with a numerical grade and MK qualifier. It came back as "altered". I sent it back in asking for it only to be slabbed "authentic" and once again, it came back as altered and not in a slab. Not really sure how to get it into it's rightful tomb but probably going to take it to the next show I'm at where PSA is there.