Thread: August Pickups
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 10:46 AM

Default My August pick-up--a card I wanted for nearly 40 years

I wound up getting a second August pick-up, a card from a set I first learned about nearly 40 years ago. In a late 70s issue of THE TRADER SPEAKS, columnist Bill Heitman did a beautiful piece about very rare cards. Including a picture for each entry, one of them really got my attention. The set is essentially known as the 1962 Gehl's Gold Mine Ice Cream Roger Maris premium card set of 6. I have always liked Roger Maris, ever since I began collecting cards in 1961. However, I had never heard of this Maris regional set of which Bill wrote. Love at first sight. Instant desire. From the mid 80s thru the early 90s, when I subscribed to SPORTS COLLECTORS DIGEST, perhaps once or twice a year a Gehl's Maris would appear. Each time I called, the response was the same, in essence, "Sorry, that one sold quick."

The cards are generally worth three-figures, but have fluctuated much higher from time to time through the years. Thankfully, a few more have come out of the woodwork, but the pop numbers at PSA and SGC are still very, very meager.

Love of the Game Auctions offered one this month. A gent who was a kindred spirit to me consigned a specimen he had owned for some time. Al Crisafulli did a superb write-up. I chanced to discover it when I reviewed what they were offering. Anyway, long to short, after giving the card up to God a little after 6 AM, I later found out my final bid had hammered. Using the PayPal option to deal with my bill, the process was easy, and Al mailed that card to me pronto. I was most impressed.

Simply, I love the card. If I never get another from the set, I am pleased with what I now own.

I hope to do a free-lance article on the set and the auction experience for SCD, if they're interested.

---Brian Powell

PS--- My son was able to load up the image from the Love of the Game site. I apologize it is so tiny. The card is actually 4 X 5", a nifty size.

PSS --- As an update, perhaps due to this posting, someone just listed on eBay the same card in a PSA 8 NM-MT, with the same decent centering as mine. At the 8 level, it ties for the highest graded specimen. Priced at $1,779.99, with free shipping. I paid three bucks more than 25% of his BIN, so personally, I feel just fine. I'm not vying for a spot on the Roger Maris PSA Master Set Registry, so I'm pleased as punch with my 6.5 EX-MT+ having a tsch of corner wear, somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg August 2017 Love of the Game Auctions Lot 335.jpg (11.9 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by brian1961; 08-31-2017 at 10:36 AM.