View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Devon

Default Some assistance needed

I'm a complete novice, who happens to be in possession of a ball signed by a number of members of the Yankees: Gehrig, Ruffing, Combs, Rolfe, Hoag, Tommy Henrich, Johnny Murphy, and the immortal Frank Makosky (whose presence would seem to peg this as 1937). I contacted Heritage Auctions a few years back; as it was neither a highly desirable single Gehrig or a more complete team ball, they stated that its price at auction would be highly variable...it would effectively depend on whether the right buyer or buyers were found to take an interest.

The ball has been in my family since signed -- my great-great aunt worked at a Boston area hotel at that time, and it was supposedly signed during a September road trip -- and consequently it is not authenticated. Heritage didn't seem to raise any concerns in that regard, but I'd also imagine that is something they would address if taking the ball on consignment. I'm in something of a backwater in terms of proximity to places where I could have it authenticated (the Maritimes, in Canada), and am somewhat reticent to ship it off unless it's wholly necessary.

I'm curious what route those here would take if seeking a buyer. Get it authenticated, or are the signatures verifiable enough to sell as is? Submit it to an auction house, or try to find a private buyer (and precisely how one would suggest going about that)? I'm well aware that these are complex, open-ended questions, so any advice big or small is much appreciated.

A few pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0983.jpg (70.7 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0984.jpg (68.0 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0985.jpg (69.2 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0987.jpg (70.8 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0988.jpg (69.7 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0989.jpg (69.4 KB, 345 views)