View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Chris Counts

I've recently picked up a few more '30s and '40s Reds photos, so I decided to put them side by side and compare them. All but the Kiki Cuyler have the same words on the back as the previously displayed Mabley and Carew photos. The Cuyler is definitely from 1935; the Hank Gowdy is likely 1939 (see the patch on his shoulder); the photo of Eric Tipton was likely issued in 1944 or 1945; and the last image is a Mabley and Carew of Kent Peterson that was sold as a 1949 issue. While the size varies from year to year, it is my belief these photos likely came from the same source and that Mabley and Carew simply inserted them into its folders. In another thread, Frank Wakefield said he believes the photos came from Quality Photo Shop, which was located on Vine Street in Cincinnati and issued photos like these during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. Until I hear or see anything more compelling, I'm going to go with Frank's explanation. As for their value, I find it hard to believe that any of these should be worth significantly more or less than any of the others, although I see the Mabley and Carew cards on occasion with some pretty big price tags on them ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redsphotos.jpg (70.8 KB, 162 views)