View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 11:18 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Maybe just to give you some thoughts about which grader to use, it seems like the primary factors should be cost, speed, and whether the stuff from that grader sells at a discount compared to slabs from other graders.

From what I'm seeing and based on your narrative, it mostly looks like midgrade 50s and 60s. Probably a lot of stuff in the 3-6 range, give or take?

As a practical matter, I would rule out Beckett, simply because their stuff sells at a significant discount when it comes to vintage. At present, I think you can probably also rule out CGC as well. While they might get there in the near future, the market doesn't seem to be quite ready to pay full price for stuff in their slabs.

That really leaves you with PSA or SGC. Given that they're now under the same corporate umbrella makes it fun, although they seem to still be operating very separately at the moment. PSA will take a long time or cost a lot of money (or both). If you submit to PSA at the bulk service level, your timeline is probably around 4 months, give or take, and it could be quite a bit longer, just depending on the randomness involved in when the grader decides to pick up your submission.

That leaves you with SGC. SGC seems like their turnaround times have grown a little lately, but still seem to be under a month door to door, which is pretty zippy by comparison. Their fees, while not crazy low, also seem to be rather reasonable by comparison. And while there's certainly some good data that their stuff sells at a discount at the top of the pop charts, for midgrade vintage stuff, the discount seems like it is usually small to miniscule. Assuming that you don't have forever to be patient on getting them graded, SGC seems like it could hit the sweet spot between the important factors at play here.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 04-22-2024 at 11:20 AM.